Select a language:

Frequently Asked Questions About General Relief

General Relief (GR) is a cash assistance program funded by the County of Orange. It provides temporary cash aid to eligible indigent adult lawful residents who do not have custody of any minor children and do not qualify for Federal or State funded cash aid programs.

Yes, GR benefits are considered to be a loan and must be repaid to the County.

Generally speaking, persons who live in Orange County and are U.S. Citizens or legal immigrants and who meet certain income and property requirements can be eligible.  However, to determine exactly what criteria must be met, you need to file an application.

Persons who are able to work must:

  • Apply for other income that may be available such as Unemployment Insurance Benefits (UIB) 
  • Register and cooperate with the General Relief Work Program (GRWP)

Persons who are not able to work must:

  • Provide medical verification reflecting inability to work
  • Apply for other available income such as Social Security Disability, Social Security Income (SSI) or State Disability (SDI or DIB)

If you are eligible to receive General Relief benefits, you will be evaluated for Medi-Cal benefits.