Select a language:


Diversion is a service designed to redirect CalWORKs applicants from extended assistance by making a one-time payment to help the client meet a need that will help them obtain or maintain employment.

  • If the social worker determines that the applicant would benefit from a diversion payment, the applicant may choose to participate in the Diversion Program, or continue their application for CalWORKs.
  • You may apply for CalWORKs and be evaluated for the Diversion Program at any of our Social Services CalWORKs regional offices.

What Could a Diversion Payment Be Used For?

  • Rent payment until the client gets their first paycheck.
  • Childcare registration and first month's payment.
  • Tools or uniforms required for the new job.